Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Good Intentions

When I left work, I intended to go to the RecPlex with the family.  I intended to sauna and soak and swim.  I intended to get home and then drink my juice.

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

...I think it is, rather, the road to friendship. :)

You see, my best friend called and informed me that his first-born made his debut into the world today. And so, it changed my intentions in a heartbeat.

I came home and made a really nutritious stewy stir-fry soup. 

Cabbage
Brussel Sprouts
Onions (white and green)
Carrots
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Cauliflower Leaves
Celery
Jalepeno Pepper

I took the "remains" of the veggies (ends of carrots, onion skins, core of cabbage, etc.) and boiled them down to make a broth, which I added to the soup.

I also juiced my veggies, and then took the remains of the veggies and boiled that to make a broth. 

I added 4 chicken breasts cooked in coconut and olive oils.

I added spices.

And I *lusted* after this soup!  I wanted to eat it SOOOOO badly!  But, I resisted and I drank my juice.

A few interesting things about this soup--it proved to me that a really tasty, nutritious broth can be made from the "remnants" of food prep.  It proved that the remains of juicing can be made into a delicious broth. It also proved that giving up one's sauna and soak and swim to welcome a new life into the world goes a long way to lay another point of bonding to a friendship.

My intentions for good health were selfish.  But, my intention to give a good, healthy soup to my friend and his girlfriend so they didn't have to worry about supper on the advent of their baby was more self-less.  I also proved that I can cook for others something that I really want for myself and still deny myself. 

....Friday is HuHot for lunch....   ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment