Monday, February 6, 2012

Diabetes Reversal

First thing I should share for those who don't know is that I'm Type-2 Diabetic.  I was diagnosed in 2003 with a 275 sugar count three hours after eating.  The pronouncement was basically, "Well, you're diabetic and you're gonna be diabetic for the rest of your life, so you need to get on a steady supply of drugs right away." 

I didn't know much about diabetes at the time, so I entered a study program, tracked my sugars, watched my diet, took my drugs like a good little automaton.  I did that for about a year. 

And then I rebelled.

I stopped my meds, stopped exercising, stopped eating right.  I lived for the moment.  After all, I've got this for the rest of my life, I might as well enjoy my life.  I peed every 45-60 minutes and that was okay with me.  I really didn't care. 

Then I started thinking about my children and my lifespan.  I started having trouble with my vision.  So, I went back to the doctor and he chastised me and put me back on meds--and this time gave me a new one (Byetta) because he thought I had trouble with the basic Metformin.

Byetta really helped in some ways.  It killed my appetite and I lost a lot of weight.  (In fact, my either is about back to where it was in 2009 when I was on Byetta.)  However, Byetta is nasty in some ways--it's two injections every day in your stomach.  Oh, you can do it in your thigh or ass--but the gut is actually the least painful.  There are a couple "non-nerve zones" (my term) where you can stick yourself and not even feel it.  But sometimes it's really painful. And sometimes Byetta burns when it goes in. 

Additionally, there are the vomiting episodes.  If you've missed your dose for a couple days or sometimes just a random timing issue (you need to inject Byetta within an hour of eating a meal) it'll make you nauseus and vomit. 

I've done some research that has uncovered a concept that modern medicine rejects on whole-cloth: Reversing Diabetes. 

Yes, research has been done and published that shows people can actually reverse their diabetes and return to a *non-diabetic state*.

I have come to a conclusion that is against modern medical thinking: Type 2 Diabetes (also called "adult onset") is *not* a "disease".  It is a "condition".

If it can be healed, however, it means I don't have to spend $25 a month on my medicine and $25 every 6 weeks on my needles.  If everyone in America were able to reverse their diabetes and actually be "cured" of it, that would dry up a multi-billion dollar industry.  If you make your living by treating people's "conditions" would you want them cured?  If you have stock in the companies that make the products that treat "conditions" would you want those "conditions" to go away?  So, would you promote the "fact" that the "disease" is forever and can never be "cured"? 

I've come to the conclusion that modern doctors are not interested in *healing*.  They are interested in *treating*--because treatment is ongoing and earns them an income and gross profits on the pharmaceutical investment portfolios.  Healing means that the people don't need you anymore and your stock in pharmaceutical companies doesn't earn massive returns.

The research I turned up indicates that diabetes can be reversed.  You can return your body to a state where it can process sugars like it used to.  It can be "cured".  What's the cure?

LOSE WEIGHT

EAT RIGHT

BECOME HEALTHY

The key, however, is the first one: lose weight.  Diabetes is a condition the body enters when you're too fat.  Have you ever seen a thin Type 2 Diabetic?  I've been going to diabetes doctors, support groups, study programs, etc.  I've *never* seen someone who was fit and trim at these places.  EVER. 

(Now, mind you, Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are *very* different things. One is hereditary and requires meds.  Your pancreas doesn't work.  The other is a condition that your body goes into when you get too fat.)

I'm looking forward to the time when I can stop my meds entirely.  When my body is trim, my sugars are in control by my diet and exercise and my meds are no longer necessary. 

I'm not there yet. 

But I will be. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment