Friday, March 2, 2012

Fast 3, Day 12, Friday, March 2, 2012

Weight: 208.8

Based on how much my stomach has been growling, my bowel movements, my activity and energy levels, I was really expecting to have lost more by this point.  It's only been a few days on this plateau, but I miss the downward slides... 

Yesterday was two cans of V8--a spicy and an original. I'll get through the originals soon, then it's back to one can -- of spicy! :)

My first evening juice was at about 6:00:

4 apples (2 granny smith, 2 fuji)
2 lemons
2 cups strawberris
2 cups grapes (with stems)
2 pears
1 cup baby carrots
2 cups spinach
1 big stalk broccoli
1/2 cucumber

This made a lot of juice and I drank about 32oz before the RecPlex, then about 20oz more after I returned from the RecPlex (about 8:30).  I also didn't drink as much while I was in the sauna, but then, I'd just had 32oz of juice...

Sauna:
35 mins
15 mins cooldown (swimming with kiddos)
20 mins
30 minutes swimming with kiddos

I've started reading "The Paleo Solution" while I'm in the sauna.  It really helps to have something to read.  It also helps that the book I'm reading is very interesting and is something I'm interested in trying.  When I'm through my big fast, I'm definitely trying the Paleo diet.  It just makes complete sense to me.  I've also been on it for short periods of my life and that's where I felt the best, had the most energy, etc. 

My pants are looser.  I can't sit for long periods of time without my butt aching (or going to sleep).  My wife has noticed various changes in my appearance.  I feel better. I sleep better. I'm thinking more clearly.  I have a much higher energy level.

There is no way I want to lose what I have.  In fact, if I discovered that eating solid food brought back the dull and lifeless "living my life in a stupor" condition, I'd juice-fast for the rest of my life!  I never want to go back there!

One thing I really need to work on is getting the proper amount of sleep, though.  I've always been one to starve myself of sleep. I cherish my late nights while everyone else is asleep and I have the house to myself.  However, everything I'm reading indicates that not getting enough sleep makes changes to your body that cause you to put on weight, which causes you to have more trouble sleeping... Nasty circle, that. :(

Now to talk about the growing trouble I've faced...  Hunger.

Over the last few days, the temptation to eat has grown stronger.  I've actually been facing more and more desire to eat.  From fantasizing about HuHot and other mongolian grills, to imagining various dishes I could make, to the smells wafting past me at lunch time, to the consideration to go off my diet and join my co-workers at the Brick House yesterday.  Even considering eating at my friend's house this weekend instead of taking my juicer or V8. 

I've been trying to figure out why it's hitting me and I have three possible considerations. 

1) I've established a pattern (albeit a short one) of 10 days on juice, 10 days on food.  This is day 12.  My body is saying, "Hey, wait, shouldn't I be eating now?"

2) I stopped taking my Byetta.  Byetta produces hormones that tell your body that you aren't hungry.  *ding ding ding*  And here I thought I had all this willpower... Now is when I'm discovering what "willpower" really is...

3) About to slip into ketosis?  Ketosis is a condition where your body stops thriving on glucose and reserves glucose for those tissues that cannot burn anything else (brain, nerves) and switch over to burning ketones. (Do not confuse this with ketoacidosis.)  Ketosis is a good thing--it burns your fat stores, protects your muscle tissues and generally provides a safe method of weightloss.  However, as many carbs as I'm getting through the fruits and veggies in my juice, I don't see how I would be slipping into ketosis.

So, I'm stumped.  I have:

1) Hunger. 
2) Growling stomach. 
3) Bowel movements. 
4) Increased energy levels.

...and 5) No weight loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment