Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Trek to Work...

It's the first real wintry day we've had so far this year.  We had one previous day with snow that lasted for part of the day--but it was warm before and after.  Today is the first day that it was truly *cold* .  It's in the teens, right now (about 6pm).  We have maybe 2-3 inches of snow on the ground. 

There was a huge spate of accidents on the radio this morning and the dive to work took nearly two hours.  Why?  Because St. Louis drivers are idiots who don't know how to drive in inclement weather of any kind.  Seriously, it's a running joke that if you spit on the sidewalk here, it'll snarl traffic. 

The trip to work was rife with traffic warnings of accidents.  The idiot behind me was driving like it was a bright sunny day and not an ice/snow covered highway where you can't even see the lines between lanes. It got my mind to thinking about my priorities...

It's cold and I could get into an accident.  Do I have a blanket?  Gloves?  Ear protection?  Check, check and check.

If I get stuck in a ditch, do I have the means to survive for an extended stay?  I had food--but not much water.  Ah!  Snow!  No problem!

The whole way to work I kept considering my options in case I had an extended stay in the cold weather, how would I handle each situation as it was presented to me.  I was analyzing the driving styles of my fellow commuters on the road (mostly complaining about them in my head, but there were a few shining examples of cool-headedness on the way). 

Now, it's part and parcel of my job to analyze things, to think through the "what if"s.  It's what I do. 

But this seemed...  more.  Clear?  Concise?  Focused?  Alert?  Aware?  I don't know.  Just ... more.

And I like it. 

I sit here at home, just finished with 32oz of freshly juiced nutrition.  Yes, I'm occasionally considering the delights of cooking a delicious vegetable soup with something I can really sink my teeth into and the warm, spicy broth suffucing my mouth with rich flavor.  But, that's for another time.

There is a time to eat and a time to fast.  And this is the time to fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment