Tuesday, April 24, 2012

More Gardening...

Weight: 211.8

Yesterday I did more gardening.  I took my daughters up to my buddy's place and we put in three rows of peppers.  We've only planted about 1/4 of the garden at this point.  Going up again to plant more tonight (if it doesn't rain) and it's supposed to rain tomorrow.  I want to get as much seed into the ground before it rains as possible.  It's also supposed ot rain this weekend, so I want to get the whole garden in place before the rains come, so the seeds can be well watered and nurtured in in the soil with warm sun and rain water. 

I've been working in my garden almost every day since Thursday. 

I'm sore as heck!  LOL  Planting is not done, but the ground is prepared.

I feel more alive than I've ever felt before.  My wife and kids keep asking me, "Who are you and what'd you do with dadda?"  They've never seen me this active and this driven to do hard physical work. My buddy whose land I'm using has even said that he's never seen me work this hard before. 

While I was in a "down time" stage when he was tilling his garden and I was waiting for him to till mine, I was cutting down weeds on the perimeter of the garden, tending a fire, dragging branches around, sawing down small trees, walking his garden and mine to remove rocks, breaking up large dirt clods by hand, etc. He said he expected me to work a little and then stop when I realized how hard it was--but I was doing all the work *and* extra stuff.  He said it really surprised him.



I just find that while I'm working, I want to work more.  And when I sit, I want to sit more.  So, I keep myself moving and try to pace myself to keep the energy flowing and steady without doing too much.


I'm super-stressed right now--but working in the garden has really helped.

My truck's clutch went out. My wife's Suburban needed new tires and an alignment. My daughter's Corolla was all we had for a few days to get a family of 8 around. Our washing machine went out (won't be repaired till Friday). We're in the middle of a remodel to get rid of the carpeting in our house in an effort to eliminate places where mold can hide to help with my wife's candida infection. Normal work stress. Education stress with the kids. Friends who are going through heartaches and leaning on us for support.

Every area of my life is stressed out right now.  The gardening and fresh air and achieving goals with future rewards is really helping!  So is the sauna and hot-tub at the Rec Plex, when I have time to get to it...

For dinner last night, I made my wife her favorite food, modified to work with her diet and mine.

She loves Betty Crocker Tuna Spaghetti (look it up online).  I made it with "spiralized" yellow squash (they came out like noodles).  We steamed them.  Probably would've been more "noodle-like" if we'd boiled them...

I also steamed some broccoli, onions and the leftover bits of yellow squash.

It was a hit, even if it wasn't exactly as she remembered it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment