Thursday, April 5, 2012

Fasting Again...

Weight: 210.6

Fasted yesterday.  Didn't workout or sauna.

Not a lot to report. 

Tonight I'm going to see Fiddler on the Roof, so I won't be going to the gym again.  Not eating anything today, either.

I'm planning to break my fast on Sunday for Easter dinner with the family at grandma's house.

I'm bringing a couple paleo-friendly dishes because everything that's being served (except the turkey) has grain or sugar in it...

I ordered a few more books that I'm planning to read over the next few weeks. Mostly paleo-related reading. 

I recently posted this on a forum and I thought it deserved a place here on the blog:


One thing I've discovered about any plan to get healthy: Nothing is perfect.

Our individual biochemistry is exactly that--individual. I react differently to certain foods than others who are seemingly identical to me in so many other ways.

And then there's the factors of preferences and tastes, as well.

So, when it comes to your health (I almost put "diet" there, but really, we're not talking about "diet" in the vernacular, we're talking about the healthy you obtain from the foods that you eat), it's much more than just "the science says that you need X, Y and Z." It's also, "Y'know, I really don't like X, can I substitute something else for X?" Or, "My body doesn't really respond pleasantly to X, can I choose something else?"

I hate beets and most squash. I have to choke it down. So, when it comes to those foods, I tend to have a lot less of it and when I do have, it I mix it with other foods that I appreciate more so that I notice it much less.

But, I'm not hardcore about anything. I live a modern life that involves a lot of sitting in front of a computer screen and I don't anticipate changing that in the near future. So, I end up reducing the amount of food that I eat to accommodate my more sedentary lifestyle. I use supplements more because I can't afford the high prices of truly good food (ever notice how people complain about the "corporations" pricing things to high--but it's really the mom-and-pop operations that have the prices that are outrageous?). I also am not as hardcore about building muscle because I'm focused right now on *reducing* my mass, not increasing it.

What I can tell you is this:

Combining the concepts of the Blood Type diet for my blood type (Type O) and meshing into it principles of paleo living mixed with a bit of juice-fasting and water-only fasting has netted me a 20-25lbs drop which I've managed to maintain quite effectively.

I'm currently at 89 days and I'm currently on a water-only fast (I broke it on Tuesday and I plan to break it again on Sunday).

Last night I went to bed at 10:30pm. I woke up at 6:00am and lay there for about 15 minutes before I realized that additional sleep was not coming. I've had the best sleep of my life in the last 89 days. :) I have more energy. The muscle pains across my chest are nearly gone. Several skin conditions that had been bothersome have disappeared. My cravings are nearly non-existant (I do crave cashew butter now and then, but that's just cuz it's so darn yummy!).

I'm also walking more, climbing stairs, enjoying the warm weather (I used to *hate* warm weather!).

I recommend this to everyone I meet. I also temper it with what I know works for my blood type. As my wife tempers it for what works for hers (she's type A and feels very sluggish if she eats red meat). And if you want to reboot your body and clean out a bunch of toxins quickly, then I highly recommend a fasting regimen. Especially one that kicks you into ketosis, so it protects your muscle tissue. It does wonders for shriking the stomach and reducing your desire for food and cleaning out your intestines so you get more efficiency in breaking down the foods.

Plus, after you fast, food just tastes a LOT better in general!

No comments:

Post a Comment