Thursday, May 17, 2012

Stress and Busy-ness Continues...

Weight: 212.8

Apologies for not taking pictures, but I started making dinner at 8:30pm and it was 9:45 by the time we were washing dishes.  It was a crazy busy evening...

Costco had Atlantic wild salmon.  We bought some for $15 and change. It was $6.29 a lb.  We bought some fresh greenbeans, asparagus and broccoli, too.

I made a spice marinade for the salmon:
Garlic salt (two teaspoons)
Bleck Pepper (one teaspoon)
Oregano flakes (one teaspoon)
Basil flakes (one teaspoon)
Chili pepper (two teaspoons)
Diced garlic (one large clove)
Diced onions (about 1/4 of a medium onion)
Diced serrano pepper (about half a pepper)

I mixed the spices with coconut oil in a little plastic container while I readied the fish on the pan.
Added enough olive oil to lightly coat the baking pan. It was a baking pan with sides--this is important!  I laid the fish in the pan (had to cut it to make it all fit in one pan). Coated the fish with the spices, realized I needed a little more oil, so I put it in the same spice container I'd used before and "swished" the excess spices out with the added oil. The fish went into the oven at 475 for 20 minutes (I checked it at 15 minutes and put it back in for 5 more).  It came out with crispy edges and tender flesh through the middle--but fully cooked.

The stir fry was made while it was cooking:
Green beans
Asparagus
Broccoli
The rest of the onion
Two gloves garlic
The rest of the serrano

I spiced it much the same as the fish--with the added element of a splash of tamari (soy sauce).
I also added a half stick of butter (already had both coconut oil and olive oil).

I sauteed/stir-fried/steamed the whole thing for about 15-20 minutes.

(I'm an "instinctive cook" so it's hard for me to give specific times, quantities of spices and so forth--it's all estimates.  I give the food what I feel like it's asking for.)

Originally, I put in the green beans whole--but realized that chopping them would be better, so partway through the process, I pulled them out and chopped them, then put them back in.  I ended up getting a lot of the oils and spices on my fingers.  It's the first time I've ever licked and sucked my every finger, from tip to hand -- and licked my palms! -- to get all the delicious flavor!

When I served it, I also included some fermented veggies I'd made 12 days before--only one of my kiddos enjoyed the fermented veggies with me.

The whole family was *amazed* at how good it was!  *I* was amazed at how good it was! 
It was a tad expensive for a typical family meal, probably cost us about $20.  However, it took 30 minutes to prepare, it was absolutely delicious and pulled our family together for a family meal where we all ate the same food together.

I also had some cashew butter and seeded grapes last night.

My sleep is not good--I went to bed last night at 2am. I had to get up at 6:30 this morning. I have a busy working weekend planned.  I had to work on the garden last night (weeding). I'm *tired* and I haven't given my body enough rest--and no real opportunity to give it the rest it needs till sometime next week, sandwiched into my normal working schedule.

I worked in the garden last night, weeding.  Haven't been to the sauna or gym all week because of band concerts, choir concerts, weeding, and tonight I have to help my wife make her fermented veggies.  Then I'll be working all weekend. Next chance to sauna/gym again won't be till next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment