Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 2, Water-only Fasting

Weight: 216.2

And the water weight has begun to come off!  I worked some in the garden yesterday after work.  I put up 14 fence posts.  My inner core is very tight today. I should do more fence-post driving!  I soaked my shirt with sweat while I was working.  I drank about 100oz of water yesterday. Lemon and Natural Calm in my water.

A friend of mine has watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and decided to try it.  He asked for some of my experience to prepare himself for the cost of the process.  This is what I had to say:

Yes, the cost of the groceries can seem prohibitive at first.  However, things I've learned over the course of my experience have provided me some insight into how to make it cheaper, more tolerable, etc.

In the beginning, I was also "over indulging" in some things that I later learned weren't helping.  Sure, it made the juice sweeter and tastier, but ultimately caused some problems (less weight loss).

I've never been a "recipe" kind of guy.  I just make things that "feel" right.  Some "recipes" are on my blog, others you can find all over the internet.  They key that I use is to get certain things that your body needs and intermingle them with things that you can stand to eat.  I say this becuase if you're not accustomed to eating certain foods, you won't like them.  Your tastebuds are changeable and until you start eating more healthy foods and your body learns to appreciate them, you'll find that most everything tastes "bad".  After a few days, it tastes "better" and by the end of your first 10 days, you'll find that you actually are starting to enjoy them.

I'd also like to recommend that you read the book: The Paleo Solution Diet by Robb Wolf.  When you come off your 10 days of juicing, I highly recommend that you go into at least 10 days of paleo.  If you can alternate between those two, you will see amazing results. 

The juicing is primarily a *cleansing* activity for your body. And, I will warn you, it can have some painful side effects.  I got seriously sick for three days when I first started and in those first couple weeks, I was still encountering pretty intense headaches. 

The juicer is going to cost a pretty penny--you'll need something of decent quality, so you're looking to put down about $150 on it. I got mine on Amazon.  When I talked to others about juicers, those who went cheap regretted it.  My juicer has been damaged (some broken plastic hinges) because my kids are not as careful with it as I am.  However, it's been quite reliable and sturdy. 

As for the costs...  Let's see...  In a typical juice I would put in:

2-3 green leafy veggies (kale, collards, spinach, etc). Those are actually fairly inexpensive.  You're probably looking at $5 for a 10 day supply

2-3 apples.  Apples are fairly inexpensive.  $1.50 a lb?  So, you're looking at about $2 a day -- $20

1/2 per juice Cucumbers. Great for juice, decent flavor.  $1.50 a lb? Again, about $2 a day -- $20

1 stalk Celery per juice -- it's worth it to get the celery hearts--they have a better flavor--$5 for 10 days

1 Carrot per juice -- $1.50 a lb?  Baby carrots are "tastier" but they cost more. $5 for 10 days

I would avoid: oranges, pineapple, grapes, cherries, berries (blue, black, straw, rasp) -- all of those are higher in carbs (sweeter) and (at least for me) hamper weight loss. They are also expensive.

So, botton line, 10 days of produce will run you about $60 or so. As you do this more, you may find that you can expand your selections and try different things.  Some recipes suggest beets -- and I just couldn't stomach those at all!  However, 1/4 of a beet (and the beet leaves) mixed with apples, cucumbers and celery was palatable for me.  Who knows, you might find you *like* beets.  More power to you! :)

You'll feel gnawing hunger for the first three days. Expect it.

You may get sick--nasea, vomitting, headaches, general "malaise".  Expect it.

After 5 days, you'll start to feel a lot better--not sick, not hungry, sleeping better.

At 10 days, you'll look back and be amazed at how much better you feel. 

Go ahead and take a break, though--enjoy some protein and essential fats (avacado is perfect!).  Avoid grains! Avoid sugar! Avoid pasta! Avoid potatoes!

Make sure you read Robb Wolf's book to understand *why* you need to avoid those things.

You'll find, if you do this 10 days juice, 10 days paleo that your food budget will actually drop.  And if you've been eating already prepared foods, you'll discover it will drop *a lot*.  Your fast food will drop to nothing.  Your soda and chips will drop to nothing. Your snacks will drop to nothing.

I allow myself one "prepared" item--V8.  It's a great thing to take with me in case I can't juice and I'm going to be in a place where I need something to eat.  I keep a six pack of V8 at the office.  Anytime I feel like I *need* something to eat, I drink a can of V8.  I prefer the spicy--it is more satisfying to me.

You can also take it slower--like Phil's brother.  And remember, Joe Cross did this to eliminate a very specific disease that was killing him and causing him huge amounts of pain.

Oh, and go for a walk!  Every day!  I'm still struggling to get enough exercise. 

If there is anything else I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask.  :)

Oh!  Ginger root!  Gotta get some ginger root!  It spices the drink a little, but it also helps with digestion.  After a short time, you'll really appreciate the zing! :)

And lemon.  A lemon added to a juice can really make it so much tastier!

I drink lemon-water a lot.  2 lemons for 32oz of water.  I put in the seeds and pulp, too.  So much better than plain water. :)

Last bit of advice: If you've juiced and you're hungry -- make another juice!  Better to head off hunger at the pass and get more juice into you.  It's also a sign that your body is saying, "I need more nutrition!" You may not lose as much weight tomorrow--but better than getting completely frustrated with the hunger and going to McDonald's!

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog. This is perfect for me to read. I have some health issues I am trying to resolve, and some weight to lose. I find it very difficult to exercise much beyond walking until these health issues are tamed, so I am doing a lot of that. So many of the juicers go vegan after, and I don't want to do that. Been there, done that, threw out the t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. :) I'm currently taking a break from the blog due to summertime activities. I'll be back to blogging soon. :)

    I have gone paleo since juicing and often spend time at the Robb Wolf forum: www.robbwolf.com

    ReplyDelete